So why should you use it?
- The project is Apache licensed.
- The project has a team of developers involved and a Slack channel on the OpenNTF Slack
It can be used directly from SSJS with as little a:
- From SSJS all caught errors on the page are logged out together, at the end of the request. This means no duplicate messages logged for different XPages lifecycle phases.
- Only two method names are used from SSJS, one to add an error, one to add an event, making it easy to pick up.
- From SSJS you only need to pass the information you wish. There is no need to pass nulls or empty strings.
- If you use a custom error page, all uncaught errors will also be logged.
- Uncaught errors will be logged for the page the error occurs on, not your custom error page.
- The database included in the project has full documentation of how to log errors. There is also a JavaDoc. The aim is for the documentation to be as good as possible.
- You can define the OpenLog path and a variety of other variables without needing to change the code.
- Those variables can be defined in xsp.properties on the NSF or the server. You can also define a backup in the notes.ini. If nothing is set defaults will be used.
If you want logging from a plugin or outside of XPages, I would recommend looking at the XLogback project (there is also a space in this Knowledge Base for the project).